My laboratory focuses on the application and pathology of stem cells. Stem cells are progenitors that could be isolated from numerous adult tissues. They are important cells that associated with maintenance of homeostasis, repair of damaged tissues, and patholophysiology sequelae in some diseases. My laboratory has two major areas of interest designed to aid understanding of stem cells.
Development of stem cell-based therapy
Because of their self renewal and differentiation capabilities make stem cells become hot spots for regenerative therapy. However, the application of stem cells in clinical applications is hampered by concerns about tumor formation, ethical issues, and associated rejections. We have isolated multipotent cells from various tissues such as umbilical cord, placenta, amniotic membrane, and foreskin. The characterization of these isolated progenitors revealed that stem cells from different sources behave differently. To use the appropriate stem cells in treating specific diseases and to improve the differentiation through modulating the differentiation procedures could be beneficial for developing stem cell based therapy.
To examine the effects of viral infections on stem cells
Recently, we revealed some stem cells could be infected by some pathogenic viruses. The properties of infected stem cells are different from the uninfected cells. We have begun to address the questions of which properties are affected and how viruses exert their influences in their host stem cells. These findings may extend our understandings in mechanisms of virus-related diseases
- Huang HI*, Chio CC, Lin JY. Inhibition of EV71 by curcumin in intestinal epithelial cells. PLoS One, 2018 Jan 25;13(1)
- Huang HI*, Chang YY, Lin JY, Kuo RL, Liu HP, Shih SR, Wu CC. Interactome analysis of the EV71 5' untranslated region in differentiated neuronal cells SH-SY5Y and regulatory role of FBP3 in viral replication. Proteomics, 2016, Sep. 16; (17):2351-62.
- Huang HI*, Shih SR. Neurotropic Enterovirus Infections in the Central Nervous System. Viruses, 2015 Nov 24;7(11):6051-66.
- Weng KF, Hsieg PT, Huang HI, Shih SR. Mammalian RNA virus-derived small RNA: biogenesis and functional activity. Microbes Infect. 2015 Aug;17(8):557-63.
- Kuo RL, Lin YH, Wang RY, Hsu CW, Chiu YT, Huang HI, Kao LT, Yu JS, Shih SR, Wu CC. Proteomics analysis of EV71-infected cells reveals the involvement of host protein NEDD4L in EV71 replication. J Proteome Res. 2015 Apr 3;14(4):1818-3
- Weng KF, Hung CT, Hsieh PT, Li ML, Chen GW, Kung YA, Huang PN, Kuo RL, Chen LL, Lin JY, Wang RY, Chen SJ, Tang P, Horng JT, Huang HI, Wang JR, Ojcius DM, Brewer G, Shih SR. A cytoplasmic RNA virus generates functional viral small RNAs and regulates viral IRES activity in mammalian cells. Nucleic Acids Res. 2014 Nov 10;42(20):12789-805. 2. Huang HI*, Lin JY, Chen
- Huang HI, Lin JY, Yeh SB, Kuo RL, Weng KF, Shih SR. Enterovirus 71 infects brain-derived neural progenitor cells. Virology. 2014 Oct 6;468-470C:592-600.
- Huang HI*, Chen SK, Wang RY, Shen CR, Cheng YC. Human foreskin fibroblast-like stromal cells can differentiate into functional hepatocytic cells. Cell Biol Int. 2013 Dec; 37(12):1308-19.
- Wang RY, Kuo RL, Ma WC, Huang HI, Yu JS, Yen SM, Huang CR, Shih SR. Heat shock protein-90-beta facilitates enterovirus 71 viral particles assembly. Virology. 2013 Sep 1;443(2):236-47.
- Chen CC, Huang HI*, Louis CL, Lin KT, Ron Y. Isolation of multilineage progenitors from mouse brain. In Vitro Cell Dev Biol Anim. 2013 May;49(5):307-14.
- Hsin-Hsu Chen and Hsing-I Huang. The Effects of Enterovirus 71 Infection on Mouse Neural Stem Cells. International symposium on RNA Viruses 2011.
- Hsing-I Huang＊, Shu-Hui Chan, Tsung-Ru Wu, Jen-Der Song. Comaparative characterization of multipotent cells isolated from human amniotic membrane and placenta. ISSCR 9th Annual Meeting, Toronto, CA. 2011.
- The molecular mechanism of enterovirus 71 infection in the neuronal progenitor cells. Lin JY, Chan SH, Su LC, Huang HI, Shih SR. International symposium of RNA Viruses 2010.
- Hsing-I Huang＊, CC Cheng, SK Chen, Hsiao-Tun Liu. The comparison of human FDSC and PDMCs in their in vitro hepatic differentiation abilities. ISSCR 8th Annual Meeting, San Francisco, USA. 2010.
- In Vitro Hepatic Differentiation of Multipotent Cells Derived from Human Placenta and Umbilical Cord. Hsing-I Huang, Tsung-Hsuan Lai, B Linju Yen, Yao-Chang Chen, Shu-Hui Chan, Chih-Cheng Chien. 5th ISSCR Symposium, Cairns, AU. 2007.
- Expression of hepatocyte-like phenotypes in human placenta-derived multipotent cells after HGF and FGF-4 induction. Hsing-I Huang, Tsung-Hsuan Lai, Fa-Kung Lee, B Linju Yen, Yao-Chang Chen, Shu-Hui Chan, Chih-Cheng Chien. 國際幹細胞研討會, Taipei, Taiwan, 2006.
- Differential Maturation of Human Monocyte-derived Dendritic Cells by Lipopolysaccharide and poly I:C. Li-Chiu Su , and Hsing-I Huang*.台灣分子醫學研討會Taipei, Taiwan, 2006.
- Isolation of Multipotent Progenitors from Human Term Umbilical Cord. Shu-Hui Chan, Tsung-Hsuan Lai and Hsing-I Huang*.台灣分子醫學研討會Taipei, Taiwan, 2006.
- Isolation and Differentiation Potential of Fibroblast-Like Stromal Cells Derived from Human Skin. Hsing-I Huang* and Chung-Zu Wu. Somatic Stem Cells: Protocol for Methods in Molecular Biology (2011), Humana/Springer press
- Huang HI*. Isolation of Placenta-Derived Multipotent Cells from Human Placenta and In Vitro Differentiation into Hepatocyte-Like Cells. Current Protocols in Stem Cell Biology. Unit 1H.1, Wiley Interscience.
- Chan MM, Huang HI, Mattiacci JA, Fong D. 2002, Jul, Modulation of cytokine gene expression by curcumin. In “Food factors for disease prevention and health promotion” edited by Shahidi F, Ho CT, and Watanabe S. American Chemical Society Press, Washington DC.
- 具多分化能力的胎盤幹細胞及其製備方法。陳耀昌,顏伶汝,簡志誠,黃幸宜 (I299752)
- 胎盤幹細胞及其製備方法。陳耀昌,顏伶汝,簡志誠,黃幸宜 (I307717)
- Y.C. Chen, L.J. Yen, C.C. Chien, H.I. Huang “Multipotent Stem Cell and Methods Thereof” U.S. Patent Pending, 2004. (60/535502)